Wednesday, September 27, 2006

things

Hello folks,

I'm writing this post in a van, on my way to Carabayllo:

Thing1
I once wrote about visiting a woman on her deathbed, seeing her "face gaunt with death." Her name was Inez. She is dead now, expiring a week after a teenage girl from 28 de Julio committed suicide. I attended Inez's wake because I saw her in agony and thought I should see her in peace. She was lying on a table with a thin sheet over her body. Her trunk, with her swollen belly, was placed grotesquely between her skinny head and legs. Light streamed in through the sizeable gaps in the thatched roof.

Thing2
Chayllo arrived to the taller with conjuctivitis. I was asked to send her home for the sake of the other children. This was a tough job. Chayllo seeks love an attention in great amounts and exclusion does not serve her well. I did my best and explained the nature of conjunctivitis by using a deck of cards. No matter, I still had to send her away.

Thing3
Leyla is Miguel's little sister. She falls asleep often in class. Two days ago she fell asleep and did not wake up. We tried everything but she would not wake up. Don't worry, she was alive and well, but would not wake up. Come 5p.m. I carried the 3-foot-5 girl as if she were mine, rode a mototaxi as far as I could, and climbed a rocky cerro to deliver her to her mom. As I said, she was alive and well, but would not wake up.

Thing4
Collin, another volunteer, has begun to work in Carabayllo on Tuesdays. What a relief it is to let off steam in English! Normally at the end of a taller, I sit mute to the right of the cab driver and stop thinking as we ride home. This Tuesday, I was able to speak what was on my mind soon after those thoughts were shaped and got feedback from somebody who was not born in Peru. Sometimes that's what you need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home