Thursday, September 07, 2006

organizing notes and progress

I confess, I did not progress much regarding the organization of my notes. However, I did progress in other ways.

Today I encouraged our team to meet to discuss the non-existing agenda for the upcoming parent meeting. I spent this entire week tracking down individual parents, and avoiding their corresponding dogs, to extend personal invitations. All 15 progenitors visited have promised to attend. Knowing that the stakes are high, I figured the best thing to do today was prepare for the big day.

The first meeting took place in our small office, L., S., and I discussed our goals and plotted them across the timeline allotted. The most important portion of the meeting will be our attempts to define, in clear, relevant, and understandable terms, the function of the taller.

We aim to close the achievement gap. This cannot be done simply by helping students to complete their homework. What happens to those who cannot read but have to write? What happens to those who cannot add two numbers but must multiply five? What happens to those whose parents cannot read, or add, or multiply?

As a lovely woman mentioned in an earlier comment: we must teach children how to learn.

Our meeting led to consensus. We communicated this consensus to our superiors who approved. Slowly, we build process and structure, and let the winds of change flow though the offices of bureaucracy.

Now we must see what the progenitors say of all this for they are the agents of change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home