Thursday, August 03, 2006

so much more to say

It's time to put some meat on the bone!

I escaped the educational workshop yesterday afternoon after my perfunctory goodbyes. As is customary, one child catches me and begs for something: a hug, a promise that I will return tommorrow, etc. I compromise and carry Evelina along for two meters before putting her down, dusting off, and shaking hands with Hitler, the driver waiting to take me back home.

I climb up the dirt and rocks to reach the car parked on the collection of dirt above us. I misstep and falter, slipping down the hill but still standing. I was ready to fall and unwilling to get back up.

Teaching is difficult, frustrating, draining and tragic. I fail to see an end to the challenge or feel the rewards of spending two hours trying to extract, cajole, inspire and force others to learn. I walk a fine line, between empathy and disdain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home